A New Year

Wow, it is already the end of 2009. Which means it is 2010! (Almost!) That's a whole 10 years since the millennium! Oh how time escapes us like the very breath that we breathe.

As I just turned to the exciting landmark age of 24 Earth years, I will act my age and reminisce of times gone by. Well, 2009 anyway. My memory is a bit hazy before then!

So much has happened!!! The year began with me in Reading for the second half of a year working as a computer fixerer at Clearswift (with the help of trusty Google searches). Being in Reading was a great time of making friends with some really cool people. I stumbled to a small church called Argyle Church at the end of my street and was met with so much love and hospitality that I just had to keep on going! Everyone was fantastic and I learnt more about God by just spending time with people. Their encouragement meant a lot to me during that year. I also worked with some really great people at Clearswift which made working there a complete joy. I learnt a lot about how organisations work, how to fix stupid computer problems and how to make friends with co-workers. 2009 was also the year I left Reading to come back to Liverpool. I found this time to be a really sad time and my usually dry eyes felt wetness when saying goodbye to both those I worked with and those I had fellowship with.

Once back in Liverpool, I swiftly disappeared again before people could even say hello as it was time for the annual Nefyn fest. I was tent leader yet again on the fun, Jesus-filled 9-11 year olds summer camp. Again, I experienced joy, tiredness and a hint of frustration as I looked after a small group of boys for a full week. My team came last points wise as usual, but I feel the laid-back nature of myself rubbed off on the kids and we did not care in the slightest that we lost. But we had fun, and that is what matters. Well, that and seeing lots of small kids come to know Jesus Christ for the first time! Makes every year worth it.

Straight after this exhausting week of fun and frolics, the day after in fact, I was swiftly taken away to Japan! All alone! I had little time to think about what I was actually doing, but I was doing it! After years of wanting to go and praying about it, I was off to Japan to serve God and his church for just over one month. And what a month it was! After arriving in the strange new land, I got a train by myself to Akihabara, the electric town of Tokyo. GeekParadise.com/awesome. In the flesh. And it was great! Although after a short while, it hit me that a lot of those many many geeks actually live for all that material possession. Stuff that is gone once we breathe our last. Sure, games and anime are enjoyable. But to keep consuming it your whole life... Pointless! So I prayed as I walked, for God to hit that place with his grace and love.

Anyway, I wasn't in Tokyo for long. The next day I travelled via the super fast thunder rails! Or train of bullets. Or Shinkansen. Or however else you wish to call those amazing beasts. I travelled alllll the way up north to a small town in Aomori prefecture called Itayanagi. A town of apple farmers. God guided me safely to my destination, I am pleased to announce! I must say, Japan is absolutely beautiful. People live under the awesome presence of huge mountains. And when there aren't house, there are miles and miles of rice fields. And apple trees where I was. It was a real privilege to be able to see it with my own eyes. But it wasn't just the country that is beautiful, the people are too. Well they were to me! They treated me with a respect I've never experienced before. People bow and say thank you at every opportunity. Although I must say, it made me uncomfortable at times!

I stayed with a missionary family at their church and helped with anything I could. This involved cooking, cleaning, chopping wood, mowing grass, teaching English and creating a new website. I hope I was of some use while I was there. I was unable to speak to many people and I found this to be the hardest thing. I really wanted to speak with people, but I could only stand there and listen to their cool language while looking rather out of place. I do hope to know the language one day so I can go back and see who people really are! I spent a lot of time on my own in the upstairs of the church, but it was good to be able to spend more time with God. I felt like I really grew as a person while there. During my last weekend there, a group of students from Tokyo invaded my lonely space. I didn't know what to do. Would they understand me? Anyway, I kept to myself for a bit until they started talking to me. And it was great to be able to speak with people! Cool people they are! Though our time together was short, they left a lasting impression on me and I made an unexpected friend! I then travelled back to Tokyo for a week and spent most of my time alone in that crazy busy super-city. I jumped on random trains and prayed in many busy places. I could write a million words on my experience there, but I'll stop!! I didn't even get to mention a few awesome things!! Like flying in a small plane over northern Japan! And getting naked with strange men! Haha! It's normal over there, it's okay! ;)

*phew* Anyway. The day after arriving back to Liverpool my mum got married to John Davies! I walked her down the isle and gave her away. I still had Japan on my mind, but it was a lovely wedding and my mum looked fantastic! A couple of days later I started back at University for my final year! I needed a break! Ahh well, it's not like I do any work anyway. Har-di-har. ;)

So yeah, 2009. My bestest year so far. It will be very hard to beat. Other things happened that made it even better, but I don't want to bore with more details! ;) 2010 is next. I will hopefully graduate from university but then what? I don't know. But I feel God wants me to spend my life spreading his love, hope and joy. Somehow. I have no idea why he'd want to use a weak, un-talented, quiet person like me! But God can do anything he wants!

I hope you had a great 2009 and I wish you the best for 2010! I wonder what I'll write about this time next year!! Exciting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week in Japan

Outreach on the Streets of Tokyo

Japan Update: July 2012